Saturday, April 21, 2012

In Honor of a Bridge

Mackinac Bridge, northern view
I love the Mackinac Bridge. I think it's beautiful.
That's been true since I was a child - it opened when i was a very small girl, but I remember the fanfare.
Before they built this monumental structure, the only way to get from Michigan's Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula was by ferry or private boat across the Straits of Mackinac. (pronounced Mackinaw, for those who don't live here.)
Though more than 50 years have passed since the first car made the crossing, my love of this connecting span and the wilderness that lies to the north of it has never waned.
(Personal aside - if you enjoy unspoiled wilderness and have never been to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, you should add it to your list of places to visit. The air is clean, bear and moose roam the woods and the lake-shore that stretches across the north, east and south of the entire peninsula is some of the prettiest in the world!)
Some people paint the things they love, some write poetry or songs... I did what I do, and tooled this wristband. It's called Mighty Mac and you can find it in my Etsy shop if you're a bridge-lover, too!


No comments: