Sunday, August 9, 2009

Deer Hide Pouches / Medicine Bags

I've been spending the last couple of weeks trying to catch up on my pouch supply, a task that's been put off too long while I've been playing with stones and tooling leather.
Finally, though, I seem to be making some headway. Here are just a few pictures of my latest. The pictures are linked to their listings in my Etsy shop, where you can find additional pictures and details as well as more pouches.

People often ask me if these are medicine bags. The answer is simple. "Maybe."
Whether or not something is a medicine bag has much more to do with how it's used than what it's called. When used for carrying ceremonial herbs or other items of spiritual significance, it is a medicine bag. If it carries common items like money or your cellphone, it's a pouch.
What I can say on the subject is that these deer hide pouches are made in a good way; entirely by hand with individual attention to detail given to each one. If you choose to use them in a spiritual way, I thank you for that trust.
(If you're interested in seeing a bit of my pouch-making processes you can find my previous posts on deer hide pouches in the Post Category list on the left sidebar.)

3 comments:

Commercial Painting Billerica MA said...

Those are so cute!

<3 Lindsay

innanyc said...

Great!fine artistic touch.Handbags have come out in different forms.The patterns and colors are stylish and the bags are attractive.

DeanO said...

These are great