Friday, January 16, 2009

Some Gorgeous Stones!

Here they are -- the new stones I was crowing about last week. They turned out nicely, I think!
First is a fabulous piece of Flint from Ohio -- I learned a lot when I looked up the info on this stone. Flint is the official Gemstone of Ohio. It was used widely by Native Americans for not just arrowheads and spear points, but also for jewelry and sacred pipes. And color! Oh My!! My previously-held notion that flint is a gray or black rock of little interest was absolutely blown out of the water by this lovely specimen!
Next is a very striking piece of Picture Dolomite from Mexico. I've become very fond of dolomite in a number of varieties. It's an ancient rock, with every specimen a minimum of 2.2 billion years old. The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old, making this fossilized algae half as old as the planet itself! Too cool!

I also did up this pretty bit of African Turquoise jasper -- not turquoise at all, of course, except in color. The black leather setting sets it off perfectly!

The last one is already gone, sold before it was done to my most devoted Earth Medallion customer. It's Botryoidal Chalcedony, a very dramatic rock in black & white with swirls and dips; perfect for the dear lady who will be wearing it!
The ones that made it to Etsy have more info in the listings. These turned out so well that I am fired up to do more. Ah yes, back to work with me!!

No comments: