Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Stone Pendants in Leather Settings; Earth Medallions

To wrap up the year, I am going to repost some of my favorite or most popular articles from 2008. This post, first published in October, received several lovely comments.

I really like wearing stones, and leather compliments the feel of the stone nicely. So I've created these. I call them Earth Medallions; an homage to the gifts of our planet. The leather setting frames the treasure inside perfectly without overpowering it, allowing the stone to remain the star.
They've been very popular for me -- perhaps the first "it" item I've ever created. Frankly, I can understand why and I'm not sure I can grab much of the credit. When you start with something as beautiful as a natural bit of rock, it's difficult to go wrong!

There are varieties of agate, bits of fossil, chunks of semi-precious gemstones... the appeal is universal. They have found homes around the necks of men and women throughout the world, thanks to the wonders of the Internet and the associated ease of selling internationally. The furthest-flung order I've filled was from Slovakia, which is real thrill for a small-town crafter!
I'd love to show you all of my favorites, but the problem with that is that they are all my favorite!! Every time I get to the part of the process where I cut the window to reveal the beauty within, I get a thrill of satisfaction that is tough to quantify!
For a look at my current inventory, visit my shop on Etsy at http://www.aosleather.etsy.com/
Check back often, as I am always making more! My only regret? So many rocks, so little time!

3 comments:

mel_nickerson said...

Wow beautiful leather wrapped stones! I have been looking for something like this for a long time, they are gorgeous, well done :)

mel_nickerson said...

These are stunning! what a great concept! I have been looking for inspiration for leather wrapped stones for a few days and came across yours, and yours are the only ones I truly love! well done!

Art of Spirit LeatherWorks said...

Thank you! :-)