Saturday, October 25, 2008

Yarn Dyed Naturally

Updated on December 5th, 2008.
In the beautiful words of her children, "Kathryn Kay Drescher Rowe has completed her work in this life and now begins her next journey."
I will leave this post intact (save for the removal of the link to her shop) in her honor.
To her family, her partner and a legion of fellow friends I offered my shared sorrow at her passing and my shared joy at having her in my life. Baamaapii, neejee.
***************************************

Few things in life are as soothing to the touch as soft yarn or as pleasing to the eye as vivid colors. When you put them together and throw in the appeal of natural derivation, you have a true winner!


I am pleased to introduce you to my friends Kathy and Kathy. (When the three of us are together we comprise a virtual triumvirate of Kathys!! )

Kathy Rowe Drescher and Kathy Kolenda do amazing things with flowers, roots, bark and bugs; they turn these natural sources into the most wonderful colors for yarn! Have you ever seen a nicer purple than the yarn pictured here? Many colors, from the greens and browns you might expect from such earthy beginnings to blues and coral colors that excite the senses and boggle my mind!

Every good story has a beginning, of course, and this story is no different.

Kathy Rowe Drescher has been a weaver and textile artist for decades. Some years back she was faced with an onslaught of health issues. As doctors will do, they attempted to isolate the cause of her illness; prime suspect was the dyes she had been using in her work.
Not one to be daunted by such challenges, she soldiered on. Fighting the good fight against the ailments, she never lost the love of what she did, but she knew she had to change her way of doing things. Through research, trial and error and new friendships, she found her way to a more natural and less toxic way of staying true to her craft.

I admire this tenacity, and I love the result!










These wonderful yarns are being offered online at their shop on Etsy, as well as some delightful cards printed from their original artwork and other whimsies like this fiber angel. They also offer workshops and classes for anyone who can attend in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan.

I will miss my friend.

No comments: