Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sitting On It

Springtime is a busy time for me, but every once in awhile I need to take time off the commerce angle of the craft and do something just for the fun of it.

A friend of mine picked up this awesome antique rocking chair; it needed some good furniture oil, but otherwise was in great shape except for the old brittle leather seat.

Though she liked the design on the old one, she wanted something different.

Like several of my good friends, she has an affinity for turtles.

This design comes from a painting another friend of mine did for me years ago. The artist's name is David Dutcher, and I wouldn't want to fail to give him credit! Looks pretty good carved into leather, doesn't it?

After dying it dark brown to match the chair, I gave it to my friend to install. She used new brass tacks that matched the old ones in size and shape.



Friendship, springtime, renewal; sometimes things just come together right...
The final result looks good enough to sit on, doesn't it? (I did, and it's plenty comfy!)








Ah well, I can't sit around all day! Back to work...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

all our chairs have the old cane seats. yours look much better! you really can craft girl! the turtle was a great idea...

aosLeather said...

well when the cane wears out, you'll have to send me measurements and colors :-)

Tim Wilson and Melissa McClintock Wilson said...

This is stunning.